Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Update on Andon

Some of you may or may not know, but on Christmas Eve, Andon started to get sick. Randall and I both thought that he was on the downside of a "sugar high" from eating to many goodies at his school party. He started running a fever, had a sore throat and began vomiting, we then knew he was getting sick.
For the past 5-6 days, he hasn't eaten even a 1/2 cup of food. We made him drink Gatorade like crazy because we didn't want him to get dehydrated. Andon has been sick with RSV, Croup and other things so we pretty much know the drill.
He has been sleeping with me so I can keep an eye on him and plus Randall has been running a fever and feeling crappy too. Last night about 3:00am, he started screaming that his belly hurt and then began throwing up. I decided ENOUGH is ENOUGH. I got an appoint this morning at 9:30am. The doctor checked him out and said he has more than the common cold but nothing too serious. She determined that he had Bronchitis.
During the exam, she kept listening to his heart. She then began to tell me that he has an irregular heartbeat and wanted to do an EKG. The EKG confirmed what she heard. The best way I can describe it is:
Regular Heart beat: X.... X.... X.... X.... X.... X....
Andon's heart beat: X.... X.... X.. X.... X.... X.. X.... X
I hope that makes any sense. She said it may not be anything serious but she said it was rare in a child so young and it is a minor concern and wants us to follow up on it. She also said that with him being sick, it may have caused stress on his heart. He has an appointment at a Heart Institute in St. Pete on January 19th. They wanted him to go to All Childrens but they wouldn't be able to see Andon until March and the doctor wanted it done sooner.
Andon was nervous about the EKG machine but I reassured him that it wouldn't hurt. Once they got all the stickers and wires hooked up, I told Andon he looked like the Incredible Hulk (when they were testing some formula on the Hulk) . Andon and I started laughing and he wanted a picture to show his dad. We try to find the humor out of anything, we really aren't right. haha
Please pray for Andon and us. We are praying that all the tests will be ok.
I feel that it is not a major concern because the doctor didn't send us somewhere right away, but we are still a little cautious since she didn't want to wait as late as March to have it done.

Andon
(This picture was taken with my camera phone so it may not be that clear)

1 comment:

Luke & April said...

Poor Guy. We will definitely keep him in our prayers.